Wednesday 16 January 2013

Spicy Vegetarian Mee Goreng - 3rd Night

It is always easier to plan meals when there is meat inside the fridge. I'd started off my week's grocery with mainly vegetables; Spinach, Carrots, Potatoes, Mushrooms, Winged Beans, Lady Fingers, Bean Sprouts, Silken Tofu, Red Chillies, and Onions. Of course there were other non-meat purchases like Fresh Yellow Noodles, Kway Teow, Tortilla Wraps, Wholemeal Bread and Eggs. I hope this new diet will really help detox my body system and heal those sandfly bites within the next 10 days! Anyway, I'm into the 4th day of being non-meat eater but still do eat eggs and drink milk for my intake of protein. 

I'm starting to miss those dishes cooked by mum badly because of the taste of love, care and efforts in them. I'm on my own now to take care of myself and others, but looking forward to the Reunion Dinner next month to taste her cooking again. This makes me even more determined to keep fit in the meanwhile! In fact nothing can really deter me from whipping up interesting, healthy and tasty dishes for all 3 meals now. I realized now that it is all about creativity, planning and genuine interest in food.

Just to share with you all the dinner I had last night. Had wanted to try cooking Indian style Mee Goreng (Stir-Fry Noodles) which was supposed to be really red in colour due to the Tomato Ketchup Indian stalls love to use. Somehow I didn't manage to get the color I wanted, but the taste was good! Will try cooking this again another day because I haven't had enough of it. If you are on the track of wanting to stay off sinful food yet longing for a munch, hope that you will get some inspiration from this dish. :)

My Spicy Vegetarian Mee Goreng (Almost Indian Style)


My Recipe (2 - 3 servings)

1 pkt Yellow Noodles, rinsed (enough for 2 - 3 pax)
2 big stalks Spinach (coarsely chopped)
1 medium Potato (peeled, chopped into small cubes)
1 big handful Beansprouts
Half a Carrot (sliced thinly)
1 small Onion (sliced thinly)
2 large Red Chillies (sliced thinly)
2 Eggs (beaten well)
1 knob Ginger (peeled, sliced thinly)
4 cloves Garlic (minced)

2 tbsps Vegetables Curry Powder (mixed in 4 tbsps water to form watery paste)
2 tbsps Tomato Ketchup
2 tbsps Light Soy Sauce
Half tbsp Sugar
Few dash of Pepper

5 tbsps Healthy Cooking Oil

Steps
1. Heat 4 tbsps Cooking Oil in pan / wok using medium low heat
2. Add Potato cubes into the pan and fry in oil for 5 - 7 minutes, remove from pan and set aside
3. Turn up pan heat to medium-high, add in minced Garlic, Ginger slices, Onion slices and stir fry till fragrant
4. Add in Vegetables Curry Paste, Red Chilli slices and carrots, stir fry till fragrant
5. Add Yellow Noodles into the pan, loosen them with frying spatula, stir fry evenly with Curry mixture
6. Make a hole in the centre of pan, pushing noodles to the edges, add Cooking Oil in the middle
7. Pour Beaten Eggs in the middle of pan, cover noodles over the egg mixture and simmer for 1min
8. Use frying spatula to stir fry and combine Noodles and Eggs together in the pan 
9. Add chopped Spinach, Beansprouts, cooked Potato cubes into the pan and stir fry
10. Finally season pan ingredients with Light Soy Sauce, Tomato Ketchup, Sugar and Pepper
11. Stir fry for the final time, coating the noodles and sauces evenly
12. Serve your Mee Goreng with freshly cut tomatoes, coriander or any fresh vegetables of your choice!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments!