Friday 5 October 2012

Fresh Yellow Noodles Soup - Simple Tradition

I did not like fresh yellow noodles since young because of the strong ghee taste and smell. Even those sold for 30cents per bowl back then (in my Primary school's canteen) tasted horrid to me. Mum rarely cooked it for us too,  and the final straw came when she tried to whip up prawn noodles soup which made me give up on eating fresh yellow noodles completely. 

It was only in recent years when I went to IL's place and FIL cooked me a bowl of fresh yellow noodles soup. I was sceptical at first and stared at it for at least 5min before deciding whether or not to tuck in. I have never eaten  nor seen a bowl of fresh noodles soup mixed with so many ingredients in a yellowish soup stock. Then I was told by him that this was how the older generation (grandparents) used to cook their fresh noodles at home. Hence I took my first mouthful, and in less than 3 minutes realized that I had gobbled up the whole bowl of noodles including the soup.

Their place is an hour's journey away and it is not that feasible to go back for this dish whenever I crave for it. I guess the only way is to learn to cook it myself. It is not exactly a healthy dish as frying with lard and pork belly is needed in the original recipe. So I had a few tries at tweaking the recipe (to be much healthier) and finally got close to the taste I had at IL's. Hereby, I will like to share with all of you reading. It's nice. Really! Lol.. :D

My bowl of Fresh Yellow Noodles Soup




The Healthier Ingredients Used

Serves 2

Ingredients
150g Fresh Yellow Noodles (washed of oil, detangled)
50g Beehoon (soaked soft)
100g Shoulder Collar Pork (sliced thin, marinated*)
2 bunches Chye Sim Vegetables (washed, sliced to about 4cm long)
4 Fishballs or 1 Fishcake(sliced thinly)
1 piece Fish Ngoh Hiang (sliced thickly)
1 Egg (beaten well)
1 handful Dried Ikan Bilis (washed and dried)
1 clove Garlic (smashed)

*Pork Marinade (marinate in fridge for at least 30 minutes)
1 tsp Light Soy Sauce
2 tsps Cornflour
1 tsp Rice Wine
2 dash Ground White Pepper

Seasoning
4 tsps Light Soy Sauce
A few dashes Ground White Pepper
1 tsp Sesame Oil

Frying Condiment
2 tsps Healthy Oil

Steps
1. Heat 1 tsp Oil in wok using medium-low flame, add Garlic and Ikan Bilis, fry till fragrant
2. Add marinated Pork, stir fry till cooked
3. Push ingredients to side of the wok, add 1 tsp Oil and scramble in the Egg till cooked
4. Push back ingredients to mix with cooked Egg bits, add 4 china bowls of Water
5. Add Fishballs, Ngoh Hiang, and Chye Sim in, cover the wok and bring to boil for 5 mins
6. Add Fresh Yellow Noodles and Beehoon into the soup, stir and boil for another 5 mins
7. Season the soup with Light Soy Sauce, Ground White Pepper and Sesame Oil, stir and turn off heat
8. Serve the noodles hot! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments!