Friday 6 July 2012

Spicy Minced Chicken N Sweet Basil Rice - Teary N Sweaty Meal

The first time I tried this dish (Spicy Minced Chicken and Basil Rice) was at a small thai eatery inside Orchard Towers building. The spicy gravy totally blew my mind. I had never eaten something so savoury before and couldn't forget this dish since then. Soon, this eatery closed down and I had to satisfy my craving elsewhere. However, no other thai restaurants that I had tried in Singapore were able to meet the standards because something always seemed to be missing... Hence I had to churn out my own recipe based on my memory of the taste I loved so much. It tasted similar but would never be completely authentic.
Usually I would use sugar and lots of fish sauce when cooking this dish, but I wanted to try something different this time yet retain the sweet, saltish, taste and caramel look of the gravy. Each time after finishing my last grain of rice, I had to down 2 to 3 glasses of ice water. But today I'd prepared a bowl of Egg Drop Chicken Soup Mee Sua to go with my hot and spicy meal. 

My Fiery Thai Meal


Simple Ingredients, Fire-Spitting Mouthfuls
Spicy Minced Chicken N Basil Rice (Serves 3)

Main Ingredients
30 - 40gm Sweet Basil Leaves (washed and coarsely chopped)
(1) 100gm Chicken Thigh Meat (cut into very small pieces and minced)
(2) 100gm Chicken Breast Meat (minced with chopper)
Marinate (1) & (2) with 2 tsps Soy Sauce + 1 tsp Sesame Oil + Ground Pepper + 2 tsps Cornflour for 1 - 2 hours

Side Ingredients
3 Eggs (fried whole, Sunny-Side-Up)
1 Medium White/Yellow Onion (sliced thinly, core removed to use for Soup dish)
3 cloves Garlic (minced)
3 stalks Chilli Padi aka Bird's Eye Chilli (sliced thinly)

Seasonings (Mix All)
1.5 tbsps Fish Sauce
0.5 tbsps Abalone Sauce
4 tbsp Chicken Stock / Water

Frying Condiment
2 tbsps Grapeseed Oil

Steps
1. Heat wok in medium-high flame, add Grapeseed Oil
2. Add minced Garlic and Chilli Padi, stir fry till fragrant
3. Add sliced Onions, stir fry till slightly translucent
4. Add Chicken Thigh Meat and Breast Meat, stir fry till fully cooked
5. Add Seasoning Mixture and coat meat evenly
6. Turn heat down to medium, mix in Sweet Basil Leaves
7. Cover wok and simmer 2 - 3 minutes, mix ingredients for final time
8. Serve dish onto a plate steamed rice and top with fried egg!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments!