Sunday 15 July 2012

Fried Veggie Wholemeal Sandwich - An Occasional Treat

It had been another busy week at work and at home for me. Things weren't going that well, sleep was bad and appetite was poor. I could not even finish half a plate of every proper meal I had. At times, when I wanted to eat M's chicken nuggets, I thought of the overpriced 6 pieces and decided not to conveniently walk over to the M's roadside kiosk. 
I needed to get my appetite back. Going vegan and eating lesser for the time being might do my stomach good. Anyway, failed my 3x attempts to make vegetarian chicken nuggets without using gluten or slabs of tofu. I will succeed eventually, but not now... ;[ 
It was a sleepless night again yesterday. In the midst of tossing and turning, I thought of frying veggie sandwich using wholemeal bread with healthy oil. The mere thought of it made me excited again. Today I tried and it was good. I love Veggies forever!

My 2nd Love ("3

Almost Vegan Ingredients
Fried Veggie Wholemeal Sandwich
Main Ingredients
4 pieces Wholemeal Bread (Side crusts removed, sliced into halves)
2 Tbsps Frozen Mixed Vegetables (Thawed, mashed and minced)
6 stalks of Black Pearl Mushrooms (Cleaned and minced; can be substituted by any mushrooms)
A quarter cube Firm Tofu (Drained and mashed)

Seasoning Condiments
2 Tsps Low-fat Mayonnaise
4 dash of Ground White Pepper
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
A pinch of Sea Salt

Coating Ingredients
1 Egg (Well beaten)
Side Crusts from Wholemeal Bread (Crumbled to small pieces)

Frying Condiment
6 - 8 Tbsps Grapeseed Oil

Topping
2 slices Low-fat Cheese (divide into quarters)

Steps [A]
1. Mix minced Mushrooms, mashed Tofu, Mayonnaise and Ground White Pepper in a bowl
2. In another bowl, mix Minced Mixed Vegetables, Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Sea Salt
3. Take 4 bread halves, spread 2 tsps Mushroom Tofu Mix over each, leaving 0.5cm gap around sides
4. Next, spread 2 tsps Vegetables Mix over the Mushroom Tofu layer on each bread halves
5. Use finger or small brush to dab side gaps with some egg mixture

Steps [B]
1. Use finger or small brush to dab the sides of the remaining 4 bread halves with some egg mixture

Steps [C]
1. Cover each of the 4 bread halves in [A] with 1 other bread halves in [B]
2. Seal both pieces by pressing the sticky egg-coated sides together
3. Glaze the 4 sandwiches with remaining egg mixture (all sides)
4. Roll the egg-glazed sandwiches in crumbled bread crusts
5. Heat oil in wok using medium-low heat
6. Slowly put in 2 sandwiches at a time, deep frying each side for about 1 minute or till golden brown
7. Drain sandwiches of oil and place on oil absorbent paper
8. Top sandwiches with cheese, and slice into halves
9. Serve and enjoy with your favourite cup of tea or coffee!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments!