Tuesday 29 January 2013

Vegetables Porridge with Salted Eggs - Mrs. Tan's Method

I wonder why my Piles came back even after embarking on a meatless diet. I wasn't able to sit still in office yesterday due to the discomfort so came home instead. I could only lie down else stand up for the rest of the day. 

Anyway, Pinky asked what's for dinner but I wasn't too sure of what to cook nor the diet suitable for Piles patients. Furthermore I didn't have the ability to sit down in front of PC to Google for information either. So the heck with it , I told her that I had no idea at all and would just cook whatever was inside my fridge. So she suggested Vegetables Porridge, using her Mom's method of cooking porridge. I wasn't keen on the idea because it already sounded bland. Nonetheless, no harm trying since I needed a watery diet so she gave me the instructions on how to go about it. 

The selection process of vegetables was rather tough, and I was faced with the challenge of making the dish sweet and salty without using too much of seasoning. So I chose cabbage and carrots for sweetness, baby bok choy for leafy fibre, and steamed salted eggs + bottled preserved Chye Sim for saltiness. For full vegans, there are other options like adding preserved beans, fermented tofu and other preserved vegetables too. This is a rather versatile dish.

Finally, my Vegetables Porridge turned out quite good. The rice were grainy, soup tasted mildly sweet and lightly salted. And guess what? It relieved my Piles! I wasn't sure at first till I had my second helping later at night. This morning I woke up just with a slight discomfort then ate oatmeal porridge, and I don't really feel a thing now. Thanks to Pinky's suggestion and her Mom that I'm healing fast! Thanks to my other friends for showing their concern too. ;]

My Vegetables Porridge with Salted Eggs


The Recipe (Serves 2 - 3)


Porridge Rice Ingredients
1 cup Rice (rinsed)
1 litre Water

Soup Ingredients
1 Carrot (cut into cubes)
1/4 small Cabbage (sliced into strips)
3 - 4 sets Baby Bok Choy (separated into stalks, cut into 1 inch pieces)
1 Salted Egg (steamed, de-shelled, coarsely chopped up)
1 tbsp Preserved Chye Sim 
2 tsps Light Soy Sauce 
A few dashes Ground White Pepper
1 tsp Sesame Oil
1 tbsp Healthy Cooking Oil

Steps
1. Boil Rice in Water in a pot for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes
2. While waiting for porridge to cook, heat Oil in a pan using medium low heat
3. Add in Carrots to the pan and stir fry till softened 
4. Next, add in Cabbage to the pan and stir fry till softened
5. Add in Baby Bok Choy to the pan and stir fry till softened
6. Add in Salted Eggs to the pan and stir fry to mix in with the rest of ingredients 
7. By this time, porridge should have been cooked
8. Use a sieve to drain porridge water into the pan of ingredients, set the rice aside for later use
9. Turn on the pan heat to medium, cover with lid and simmer for 10 mins
10. After 10 mins, add Light Soy Sauce and Ground White Pepper to season
11. Turn off the heat and let the soup rest for at least 15 mins

To Serve (Immediately)
1. Switch on pan heat to medium, add in all the porridge rice
2. Stir the porridge for about 10 mins
3. Drizzle Sesame Oil over and serve

To Serve (For separate timings' consumption)
1. Scoop the amount of porridge rice and vegetables needed into a pot
2. Stir and heat up the porridge for about 10 mins using medium heat
3. Drizzle some Sesame Oil over and serve







2 comments:

  1. I like to read about food, not piles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry this post didn't suit your taste. I'm blogging more about food for health than just about piles.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments!